The Latest In Music And Life At Grinnell

Cloud Nothings

Cloud Nothings – Here and Nowhere Else

Words: Thomas Grabinski

Two years ago, Cloud Nothings exploded out of its Midwestern cocoon and took the world by storm with its loud-ass guitar music. Their 2012 release Attack on Memory was an album equally fit for angst-ridden bedroom brooding as it was for parties. Dylan Baldi, the mastermind behind Cloud Nothings, is a …

Read more

coldplay1

This New Coldplay Song Sounds Like, Well, Not Coldplay

Tell a music nerd that you’re a big Coldplay fan and see what happens. If they’re a kind soul, they may just nod and try to muster a smile while the smuggest of scenesters may go so far as to insult your general intelligence. For the record: I’m no Coldplay hater. I saw them …

Read more

st. vincent

St. Vincent – “Birth in Reverse”

Words: Geo Gomez

St. Vincent is a one woman hurricane– a deadpan, taciturn artist who delivers diatribes against modern society in all its conceit, its disillusionment and obsession, “the shade of it all” as drag superstar Latrice Royale would put it, in a format thats utterly listenable, entrancing in its 21st century relevance.

Read more

talk is cheap

Chet Faker – “Talk is Cheap”

Words: Ben Tyler

If there’s anything I have learned in the past six months, it is that I should have been looking at Australia a hell of a lot more closely. It hardly seems like a week goes by without finding a new Aussie that makes their way onto my like list on soundcloud …

Read more

MiloOtis

KDIC Presents Milo & Otis

Milo & Otis stopped by the studio for an exclusive acoustic set!

Check out the video and music below: (Download available through SoundCloud)

For more about Milo & Otis and other Young Chicago Authors groups check out the Erasing Boundaries Feb. 14th and Feb. 20th podcasts.

The Joy

Entire

Read more

ATP Festival Curated By Animal Collective - Day 3

Animal Collective… but Spooky

Words: Thomas Grabinski

Who doesn’t love Animal Collective? The New York four-piece has released some of the most essential works of the 2000s. And when they’re not working together, the animals stay busy. Panda Bear recently stole Daft Punk’s thunder with a guest spot on their fantastic 2013 release, Random Access Memories, while Deakin and …

Read more

Screen Shot 2014-02-20 at 12.31.40 PM

Tracks on Tracks: Post V-Day Edition

Words: Emily Mester

Musicians don’t need an excuse to talk about love. The amateur statistician that is my brain estimates that about 77% of all songs ever written are written around the spectrum of weird hormonal flows that accompany our romantic stumblings (the other 23% are about daddy issues.) Here are a few tracks …

Read more

ATW_2

KDIC’s Artists to Watch in 2014

2013 was a momentous year for music with the likes of Chance the Rapper, Lorde, Foals, and Drake dropping stellar albums that quickly held listeners transfixed. With more than ample coverage given to the best of 2013 across the internet, it is time to get over what was and focus on what will be …

Read more